• Lower Manpower Costs– It is estimated that factory-direct salesperson costs a vendor
between 1.5 to 2 times as much as hiring an entire rep agency with multiple sales reps.
• Predictable Sales Costs that are Directly Proportionate to Sales & Services
Performed – Manufacturers’ Representatives are only paid on product that they
sell and service. No salaries to carry!
• Eliminated Fixed Costs – Manufacturers’ Representatives require zero up-front costs,
no fixed salary costs, no fixed overhead costs, no travel, training, benefits, or Human
Resource administrative costs.
• A Shared Costs Approach to Marketing – Manufacturers’ Reps are able to spread the
operational cost of running their sales force over multiple streams of income because
they typically call on accounts for multiple product lines. This results in enormous savings for each vendor.
IMMEDIATE MARKET PENETRATION
• Immediate Access To The Market— Manufacturers’ Rep firms are made up of experienced salespeople already entrenched in and familiar with the territory, its customers, the politics of the market, and its geography. They know the customer base on a deeper level and usually have lived in the market for years. They already have existing relationships and do not need to build them from the ground up.
• Every Customer Interface Helps the Vendor– All sales calls, service calls, fieldwork, and interactions with a customer help the rep and vendor build the relationship with that customer. Time spent with customers on any product line helps all vendors’ product lines.
• Never Out-of-Sight-Out-of-Mind – Rep Agents are constantly in front of the customer. Once a direct salesperson has made their pitch, he does not have the luxury of coming back without an appointment. A Manufacturers’ Rep always has a reason to be in front of the customer.
• Increased Sales— The fact that people buy from people they like, trust, and feel comfortable with is well known. Manufacturers’ Reps have relationships with. and are selling to, the customers that vendors want to do business with already. Since the easiest customer to sell a product line to is an existing customer, in many cases it is easier for a Manufacturers’ Rep to sell to the vendor’s prospects. IMMEDIATE MARKET PENETRATION PERSPECTIVE & FEEDBACK
MOTIVATED AND DRIVEN
• Entrepreneurial by Nature – Manufacturers’ Reps possess entrepreneurial characteristics: They can spot opportunity, have an independent spirit, enjoy hard work, are self-confident and disciplined, possess good judgment, are adaptable to change, manage stress well, are goal oriented and profit focused.
• Aggressive By Nature – A Manufacturer’s Representative is hungry by nature. Since reps pay their own expenses, they are always looking to close new business. Reps must sell to live. Salespeople that are not aggressive are in the wrong occupation. In sales you are either growing or you are dying.
• Consistent – Because rep firms pay their own expenses and are not paid if they do not sell something, they constantly provide results. They do not have the luxury to go through the motions. Reps need to perform consistently for their customers and their vendors because their reputation is everything. MOTIVATED & DRIVEN
PERSPECTIVE AND FEEDBACK
• A Different Viewpoint – Manufacturers’ Rep firms can invigorate a product line by providing fresh ideas and feedback on how to promote, market, and sell products to the marketplace. Reps know what works for vendors in their markets and can draw from previous experience with various methods, techniques, and tactics.
• Better Market Intelligence and Feedback — Since Manufacturers’ Reps carry a mix of products and have a wide base of customers. Many times they can sense market changes and opportunities earlier and more accurately than factory-direct reps who focus solely on their own product line. Manufacturers’ Representatives are a great source of competitive market intelligence